Thursday, August 6, 2009

Artist Interview: Marieke Made by Mo


Today I have the honor of interviewing Marieke of Made by Mo. I asked her some questions about herself before we dove into the interview: Her favorite color is lime green and blue. On weekends she likes to work on crafty projects while she listens to good music, she states "I can't work without listen to music." She loves to eat cereal for breakfast or on Sundays she loves to eat a croissant and backed egg. For a dream vacation she'd love to go to America (though she's afraid of flying). By car she loves to go to Italy (I'm so jealous! I wish I could drive to Italy!). She thinks Italy is a beautiful country with tasty food. Her mother lives in Spain, so she loves to go there too!

And now down to the interview! :)

What started you in your art/craft?
When I was a child I already made stuff for my barbie dolls. Little bags, clothes etc and I drew a lot of Disney characters. When I got older I started to paint more realistic. I was also into music. My mom is a professional singer and I got the 'fever' too. Not by singing but by playing drums.
A few years I totally added to music I played drums in several bands and when I finished highschool I had to make my mind up. Am I going to an art academy or a music academy. I choose for the art of course! And this is when I realised that I can make money out of my favourite hobby. And can teach other children/people more about art, craft and culture

What are your favorite materials/tools?
At this moment I am into sewing. I want to learn more about this technique. I am also a fan of ceramics. But this is more difficult to work with at home.
So I have to go to a ceramic workspace. In my studie I learned to etch, screenprinting and bookbinding. So I use this techniques more often now but I still have to learn a lot.
Besides my webshop I am also into drawing. I draw on assignment. as specially pets.

Who's your biggest inspiration?
My parents are also very creative. My father is a real handy man. He does everything by itself. Making the bathroom for example. My mom is always busy with little projects, she is very creative. Her house looks very cosy and finished with cute little corners. My sister is into scrapbooking and she does it very well.
When we (my sis and I) were little kids we did a lot of crafty projects with our mom. We can still learn from each other. My mom is going to give me some sewing tips and I am going to teach her more about Photoshop.

How long have you being producing your work/How did you get started in it?
I am making things to sell for two years now. It started with 'strawbunny' I made a few different characters in my studio. I made little stories about them and painted this. Later on I started to screenprint little books with these characters called, monkey chunky, cookie dog, honey bear and strawbunny. So i wanted to do more with these guys. Beside this I made a lot of different things to try some techniques out. Bookbinding, sewing (bags, toys etc) I got so much stuff so I decided to sell my things at Dawanda and mijnwebwinkel.nl. I want to sell on etsy but don't have a credit card so this makes it more difficult. I hope in the near future that I am going to be able to sell my things on etsy because I can reach a wide range of people.

Where do you hope your art will take you in the next year?
I hope I will reach more people. I am just graduated at the art academy as Bachelor in fine art and Design Teacher Training and I hope I'll find a job were I can match these two. In September I am going to do my first craft show so I am very excited! My wish is to have my own store were I sell work of young (new) artists and can give workshops.

Is there anything you want people to get/take away from your work?
The work is inspired by nature. I love being surrounded by nature. It makes me feel relaxed and de-stresses me. In the big city everything goes fast and by bringing these forms and colors in the city makes me feel happy and peaceful. I hope I can give these feelings to other people by showing (and selling) my products.

What advice would you give to an artist just starting out?
Just do what makes you feel happy. Start a blog. It is always interesting to read more about the person behind the shop and what moves you..


Make sure to also check out her blog, flickr, and twitter!

1 comment: