Thursday, June 25, 2009

Artist Interview: Kieu of Tea Light Shoppe

Today I'm interviewing Kieu from the Tea Light Shoppe. She creates jewelry, hair accessories and phone charms. The phone charms she makes are completely hand sculpted and are baked in her home oven. Kieu's favorite color is green because it "reminds [her] of trees and nature. It also really pops out in clothing/accessories." Her favorite weekend activity would be sleeping [:D]. She goes to school full time on weekdays and works on stocking her shop, so it is the weekend when she catches up with the sleep she's missed during her busy week. Her most favorite breakfast is breakfast pizza which she says she usually makes herself because very few places make it. (I've never heard of it myself!) Her dream vacation would be to tour Asia. She states, "I don't travel outside of the United States much and I would love to experience more of my culture."

Below are some of the questions I asked Kieu:

What started you in your art/craft?
I've always been into doing anything creative. I was at art school for two years and made many trips to the art store. One day, I just stumbled on some polymer clay and I started playing around with it. It eventually expanded into jewelry making as well.

What are your favorite materials/tools?
I love using polymer clay, Swarovski crystals, and more recently air dry clay. Using polymer clay and air dry clay is like sculpting with playdoh. It's so much fun and you just got to be creative. Swarovski crystals look absolutely beautiful illuminated in the light.

Who's your biggest inspiration?
I've been browsing around Etsy and I have found so many talented people. My two favorite that inspire me so are Nataliaraya and Elishalong. Their designs are so romantic and whimsical.

How long have you being producing your work/How did you get started in it?
I've been creating for several months. I'm still new at this and enjoy learning and gaining experience in my craft. I only recently started my Etsy shop in March.

Where do you hope your art will take you in the next year?
I hope my Etsy shop will be very successful and consistent with sales. I also hope to consign with several boutiques/gift shops if possible.
Is there anything you want people to get/take away from your work?
I want my pieces to look cute and fun. That's why I use bright colored roses or cute little charms. I want people to feel cute wearing my jewelry/accessories.

What advice would you give to an artist just starting out?
Don't give up! Make good products, work hard on promoting and you will go far.


Make sure to visit Tea Light Shoppe!

1 comment: