Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sometimes Creativity (and technology) Needs a Break






As you know, I've been out of town for the last week (hence the lack of posts). I decided that on my trip I wasn't going to take my computer (that I've been tethered to for weeks while job searching and promoting my little etsy shop). It was hard to leave my computer, worrying that my absence from the cyber world would make my views plummet to an un-salvageable level. But, taking a break was probably the wisest choice I could have made. Yes, my numbers did drop off significantly and yes, it'll probably take days to recouperate those viewers I have lost, but my little break helped give me some perspective.

Creativity is found out in the real world (duh...that should be a no brainer to me), and that slow and steady wins the race. Yes, my constant promoting gives me more views, but it's hard to carry the same passion every moment of everyday without a break, and it's the passion and creativity that makes people come back again and again, not just web presence.

Did my break give me bursts of creativity? Well, no, not really - it wasn't the point. It was my "last" time visiting Boston (where I went to school) so it was a busy trip of visiting and saying farewell-for-now to friends and old haunts. But it did let me see that breaks are important for hope.

Haha...so this post wasn't supposed to be super sentimental or so convoluted, but hopefully some of it came through.

If you've been sitting at your computer for days on end, TAKE A BREAK. There's a real world out there just waiting to be discovered or re-discovered.

Above are some pictures I took while sitting in the Public Gardens one morning reading, such a relaxing time. Maybe soon I'll get some of my new ideas laid out in Illustrator for all of you to see. But I must be off to promote, take a break, and create!

Good to be back, guys!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! For me it has to do with productivity. The computer, iPod, TV, etc. can just be a big ol' time-suck. That hinders creativity right there. But stopping and really focusing on the beauty (and sometimes not so beautiful) around you is the best thing that you can ever do.

    ReplyDelete